Content marketing will replace schools as the source for education. Schools and online education companies will become content marketing for products and services.
Selling products and services will become the new business model of education.
This is more efficient and sustainable than donations, taxation, or money printing. It benefits everyone (except people charging for education of course) because education becomes free.
Why and how will this happen? There are a few factors that are creating the perfect storm…
1. Google’s algorithm is constantly becoming more effective at providing searchers with the best content in search results. As a result, content marketing will continue to become higher and higher quality, until it becomes as good as a school.
2. Thanks to services like WordPress, it has become cheaper and easier to start a content marketing campaign. As a result, competition for attention has heated up. In order to stand out, good content marketers are producing higher quality content than ever before. Eventually it will need to be as quality, or more, as what people are paying for.
What does this mean for businesses, (online) education, and media/content companies?
1. Companies using content marketing should treat it like a school. The content should be as good or better than what people are paying (in some cases hundreds of thousands of dollars) for. Go all in or not at all.
2. Big companies should acquire or start colleges or online education companies. Coursera would be a great acquisition for a company with products or services that serve the demographics that take Coursera courses.
3. Education and content businesses of many varieties should partner with companies to sell their products as a business model.
Internet → Software → Content
First came the internet, then came the infrastructure, in the form software like WordPress and Twitter, now we have content (in the form of tweets, blog posts, etc.). The timing is right, and there could be huge benefit to society if content marketing (selling products and services) becomes the new business model for education.