Effectively preparing for business development or networking meetings is very important and can be extremely valuable. Conversely, being ill-prepared can result in wasted time, cause you to miss out on important talking points, or worse, make you look really bad.
Benefits of being prepared
- Showing you’ve done your research subtly lets them know you’re serious about working with them.
- Getting a full understanding of their business can help you find more ways to help them. Going in to a meeting with severals ways to help the person is a great way to start a relationship.
- Finding that they have experience in something you want to learn about or were you at a company that you want to work with means that you have a great opportunity to get advice.
- Discussing a common connection helps to build rapport. You can also leverage the common connection to learn more about the person you’re meeting.
Harm in not being prepared
- Asking a question that can be answered by looking online is a waste of precious meeting time.
- You can miss out on valuable information by not knowing about something they’re involved with or have knowledge on.
- Asking a question that shows you don’t actually know much about who they are makes you look ill-prepared and is a bit disrespectful.
To learn more about networking, check out my video course, How to Build an Awesome Professional Network.
Get 10x More Interviews
Sign up to get your free ebook on getting cust dev interviews